It’s that time again to create a fresh new start for the new year and make a New Year’s resolution. We all have them and they include working out more, losing excess weight, quit smoking, get rid of that looming debt or simply be a better person. These are just a few of many resolutions that we hear about.
Campbell Sports Rehab & Spine Center can offer a few tips on how to accomplish some of these goals.
If your goal in 2013 is to lose a few pounds, here are a few ideas that can help you get started and achieve your weight loss goal.
Make personal goals
Consider your own personal fitness level, your health, your available time and motivation.
Set an achievable weight loss goal
Start by losing weight slowly. This doesn’t sound very appealing but the average person should only lose 1-2 pounds a week. Try and burn 500-1,000 calories more than you take in and you will notice this weight loss and keep it off.
Focus on the process
Make the most of the process of losing weight rather than the end result. Focus on changing daily behavior and habits rather than a set number of pounds lost or your ideal goal weight.
Think short term
Consider weight loss on a daily basis. Setting a long term goal can be discouraging. Short term is a stepping stone for a long term goal.
Journal your progress
Write down what kind of foods you eat every day and be honest. You may be in for a few surprises.
Pick a date
Decide when you will start and stick to it. Consider any commitments that may interfere with your goals such as, school, work, vacations or any prior commitments that may sabotage your weight loss plan.
Consider starting small
When you set small goals they are easier to achieve and stick to.
We all have setbacks
Accept that there will be setbacks. Don’t stress over that piece of cake at the office party.
Reflect every few weeks
Weigh yourself every few weeks, not daily. Many people weigh themselves every day and when they do not see the results they tend to get discouraged.
Modify your goals
If you find you can’t stick to a particular diet or exercise regimen, then alter it accordingly. Find what works best for you.
An important part of any weight loss program and a common resolution is to begin an exercise program. Campbell Sports Rehab & Spine Center has a few suggestions for those that maybe haven’t laced up those sneakers in awhile.
- Start slow & easy – Don’t start out planning to run a marathon. If you haven’t exercised in awhile, begin exercising in small steps. Don’t forget to warm-up and cool-down.
- Set goals – Compose 3 goals for yourself and post these on your fridge or mirror. It can be a great motivator
- Fitness trainer or boot-camp – A personal trainer can be expensive and if it’s financially feasible, hire the help of a trainer who is qualified, experienced and can communicate with you especially if you are just starting out. Another option is to join a local boot-camp class which is a great way to get exercise and it will also be cheaper than hiring a personal trainer. Either option will benefit you greatly.
- Friends – Exercise with a buddy. It is always easier to stick to an exercise plan if you have someone to share it with. It can also make exercising exciting.
- Chiropractor – Always see a medical professional before starting any new exercise program. They can offer many tips and advice on what might work best for you.
One last New Year’s resolution that is always a good idea is to make an appointment at Campbell Sports Rehab & Spine Center for a check-up. If it’s been a few months or even years, call us. We might not be able to help you pay off a debt or get along better with your mother-in-law, but we can help get your year off to a great start.